Friday, June 5, 2009

Expert Traveler...or Not!

Just when I think I've become an expert traveler, I do something kinda stupid. For those of you who have traveled with me know that I used to be an over-packer. Not anymore! With every mile traveled, I've learned to downsize. One of my favorite possessions is my 20 Inch roller-board suitcase with interlocking carry-on pieces. My lunch bag, flight bag, and computer case all hook on and off for easy airport navigation. Best of all there isn't an overhead bin it doesn't fit in. It is Awesome! And I refuse to go anywhere with out it. If it doesn't fit it in my suit case, it doesn't go. Which is the set up for my stupidity on my latest adventure as a road warrior.

I started the week off flying a 2-day trip and flowed into 2 days in my SGU office. So I had to pack for 4 days total: 2 days as a pilot and 2 days as corporate dweller. By the time I got all required items for both, my suitcase was a little full. It was a little hot once I got SGU which inspired a trip to the outlet mall in search of some summer office attire. Well, my hunt was successful...I"m also an excellent shopper ;) Buzz even got some new Polo's. This caused a dilemma because I had to fit it all in my suitcase. After much struggle I managed to get it all into my suitcase...except for one gym shoe. No problem, I had plenty of room in my computer case for it. Off I went to the airport to catch my flight to SLC. Everything was going great, I had my bag checked (which I never do), ID, boarding pass, computer and liquids out and ready, and shoes off all ready to go through a screener. I even made it through the metal detector without beeping on the first try. Victory was mine. That is when I noticed all the TSA agents gathering around the screen on the x-ray machine. What had I forgot now.? Then I saw them pull my one shoe from my bag. Gulp! I'm an idiot. Do you remember why we have to take our shoes off to go through security. Someone tried to bring down an airliner post 9-11 with explosives in their shoes. Now, here I'm going through security plus one shoe in a computer case and no suitcase. This appears to be a little strange. Luckily, after explaining the story to TSA they re-screened my shoe separately gave it a swab test and sent me on my way. I know this doesn't sound all that embarrassing to you guys, but it was mortifying for me. These people know me and I'm supposed to be a little smarter than this when it comes to air travel.

3 comments:

  1. OK, I am having a serious chuckle right now! See if I call you for travel advice again! :) They also frown on UNOPENED bottles of water that you have forgotten were in your bag. That situation can be remedied by telling him to "just throw the damn thing away!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! One of my co-workers attempted to bring a pearing knife with her in her purse about a year ago....too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Kyle and I were on our way back from a trip to Mexico, he warned me about packing my nail clippers and tweezers in my carry-on...he said I'd get them confiscated. As we're going through security, the lady said that Kyle had something in HIS bag that he'd either have to check or chuck. What could he have? A HATCHET! It's a more-for-display thing, but it's still big and sharp! So much for his expertise. :o)

    ReplyDelete